- Drafted language for the graduate STEM education section (section 5) on mentoring and professional development for graduate students and postdocs was incorporated into National Science Foundation for the Future Act – H.R.2225 (March 2021)
- Drafted a STEM pipeline amendment to National Science Foundation for the Future Act – H.R.2225 which includes postdoctoral researchers as eligible recipients of the professional development supplement. This amendment was offered on Rep. Lofgren’s behalf by SST Chair Eddie Bernice Johnson (TX-30). The amendment passed by voice vote with unanimous consent and was adopted during full committee mark-up. (June 2021) (Press release) (Recording)
- Bill summary: advances policies and funding to raise the bar for the training, mentoring, and professional development of graduate students and postdoctoral researchers.
- Federal update summary: Congressional Legislative Activity – Science Legislation – NSF for the Future Act authorizes funding opportunities for mentoring graduate and postdoctoral students. The bill as a whole passed the House by a vote of 345-67. (June 2021)
BRIEFINGS & ADVOCACY EVENTS
- Planned and implemented Coalition for National Science Funding (CNSF) Advocacy Days (virtual), focused on UC’s early career researchers supported by NSF funding (June 2021, virtual) [played a leadership role]
- Fact sheet: UC Research and the National Science Foundation
- Federal update summary – Advocacy Update – CNSF Advocacy Days – increased federal funding for NSF to ensure the nation remains a world leader in innovation, support early career researchers and build a robust and diverse STEM workforce pipeline.
- Planned and implemented UC Briefing: Impacts of COVID-19 on UC’s Early Career Researchers Congressional Briefing (February 2021, virtual) (flyer) (recording) [played a leadership role]
- Federal update summary – COVID-19 – Early Career Researcher Briefing – the event highlighted the need for robust and sustained funding to ensure the continuity of research innovations and training programs for the next generation.
- Drafted talking points for supporting the Science & Engineering workforce in American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE) Hill meetings, and participated in Hill meetings (February 2021, virtual)
- Federal update summary – Advocacy Update – UC Engineering Deans Virtual Capitol Hill Meetings – among topics discussed were NSF funding and NSF reauthorization legislation, and STEM workforce and diversity issues.
- Planned and implemented UC COVID-19 Research: Impacts of NSF RAPID Grants Congressional Briefing (recording) (June 2020, virtual) [played a leadership role]
LETTERS, RESPONSES & TESTIMONY
- Drafted letter on UC’s Support for NSF for the Future Act (addressed to Eddie Bernice Johnson, Frank Lucas) (June 2021)
- Drafted Congressional testimony for Dr. Roger Wakimoto, Vice Chancellor for Research at UCLA to testify in a hearing on the NSF for the Future Act (Committee on Science, Space, and Technology, Research & Technology Subcommittee), which included sections on DEI and workforce development (graduate students and postdocs) (May 2021)
- Contributed to Racial Equity and Diversifying the STEM Workforce section for AAU’s response to the NSF RFI on the key elements of the 2022-2026 NSF Strategic Plan (February 2021)
- Drafted letter on UC’s Priorities for National Science Foundation (NSF) & Office of Science and Technology (OSTP) Programs (NSF Agency Review Teams for the Office of the President-Elect Joe Biden) (December 2020)
- Contributed to document on priorities that UC would like to see addressed in reauthorization of the NSF in the 117th Congress (research, workforce diversity, graduate education & fellowships) (March 2021)