Since 2015, Adriana has provided mentoring, advising and career input for early career researchers interested in science policy careers, including reviewing conference proposals and conference committees.
- AAAS annual meeting (2023)
- ASBMB Advocacy Training Program (2022)
- Canadian Science Policy Centre (2022)
- AAAS & NSF ERN STEM Conference (2022)
- ARIS Summit (2021)
- WGR Excellence in Advocacy Awards (2021)
- NSPN SciPol Scholars in Residence (2021)
- The Science Coalition Student Video Challenge (2021)
- NSF Research Experience and Mentoring Program Grantees Meeting (2020)
- L’Oreal USA For Women in Science Fellowship (2020)
- NYAS SALT Program (2019)
- Member, Program Committee, Inaugural International Forum on Research Excellence (IFoRE), Sigma Xi (2022).
- Member, Professional Women in Advocacy Conference Committee, Women in Government Relations (2020).
- Member, STGlobal Conference Content Committee (2019-2021).
Adriana has also provided instruction or participated in policy training sessions for early career researchers.
- Networking with science policy groups and science policy happy hours with ESEP & NSPN (2020 – present).
- Mentoring on science policy resumes, fellowships and job applications for early career researchers, including preparation for interviews and writing recommendation letters (2020 – present).
- Advising on science policy career transitions for early career researchers several organizations at a number of universities (2019 – present).
Since 2016, Adriana has contributed to or co-designed several educational resources on science policy training and STEM workforce development, including courses and programs.
- Science Policy and Advocacy Certificate Program for STEM Scientists, GPS-STEM Program, UC Irvine (multiple years including 2023).
- Co-designed, launched and executed interviews for JSPG’s SciPol SoundBites science policy podcast (2020).
- Scientific Solutions for Society Certificate Program, Future Substance of STEM Education project, ASU (2020).
- Designed Playbook Guide on how to apply for a local policy fellowship, Engineers & Scientists Acting Locally (2020).
- Contributed to mentoring climate guidelines for institutions (2019).
- Participated in Policy Chats for a number of scientific societies on mentoring, advocacy and career development (2018-2021).
- Co-designed InterSECT job simulations on advocacy power mapping and data collection (2017).
- Established Excellence in Science Education & Outreach Award, Superlative, Kentucky Academy of Sciences (2016).
- Contributed to FLSA and Postdocs resource on monitoring institutional compliance with the FLSA (2016).
Adriana has also taken a number of science policy courses to learn more about the field.
- Public Policy Challenges of the 21st Century, UVA Batten School (2021)
- Public Policy Analysis for Scientists, Engineers, and Health Professionals, S&T Policy Academy (2020)
- Tools for Academic Engagement in Public Policy, MIT Policy Lab (2019)
- How to Communicate with Congress, AAAS (2016)
Since 2018, Adriana has engaged in a number of peer review activities in several policy areas to support the future of research and workforce development.
- NSF Reviewer (2021)
- Frontiers in Research Metrics and Analytics Journal, Research Policy and Strategic Management Specialty Section (2021)
- Health Policy and Technology (HPT) (2020)
- Weather, Climate, and Society (WCAS) (2020)
Adriana has reviewed publications on policy topics, including open science and diversity in STEM.
Selected publication reviews:
- Research, teaching, and knowledge transfer assessment in Spain: Strategies and results. Front. Res. Metr. Anal. (2022).
- Disentangling obstacles to knowledge co-production for early-career researchers in the marine sciences. Front. Mar. Sci. (2022).
- A New Effort to Diversify Faculty: Postdoc-to-Tenure Track Conversion Models. Front. Psychol. (2021).
- Poor investment and limited research positions in biomedical research: challenges for young researchers in Mexico. Health Policy and Technology (2021).
- Assessing the impact of an online climate science community The Early Career Climate Forum. Weather, Climate, and Society (2021).