Skip to content
SCIENCE POLICY TRAINING
SCIENCE POLICY HIGHLIGHTS
- Member accomplishments – JSPG CEO & Managing Publisher – SfN DCMA Spring 2021 newsletter, May 2021, mentioned my recent appointment as JSPG CEO & Managing Publisher.
- Advice for early career scientists: Be bold, be enterpreneurial – GCC Carpe Careers blog – Inside Higher Ed, February 23, 2021 (highlighted on The Future Substance of STEM Education page & NSF news clips).
- Why engage in neuropolicy and advocacy? – SfN DCMA Winter 2021 newsletter, January 29, 2021 (with Nicole Catanzarite), summarized a number of virtual science policy and advocacy events (JSPG, STGlobal, and SigmaXi).
- Communicating for Policy: NSPN and Cincinnati Host Policy Memo Workshop – National Science Policy Network (NSPN) blog, August 19, 2020.
- Taking Action: Reforming Graduate Education – Co-moderated webinar (with Alessandra Zimmermann), National Science Policy Network (NSPN) blog, August 13, 2020.
- eLife Ambassadors: A Celebration of the second cohort – Contributed as eLife Ambassador Associate, Inside eLife, July 13, 2020.
- Lifting (Up) Together: Recap on Inclusive Mentoring webinar – Co-moderated webinar (with Marie Fiori), National Science Policy Network (NSPN) blog, July 6, 2020.
- Effective Self-Management for Early Career Researchers in the Natural and Life Sciences – NPA POSTDOCket, volume 6, issue 18, June 30, 2020.
- Four essential elements that improve graduate training – ASCB COMPASS blog, April 17, 2020. This post was selected for the September 2020 ASCB Newsletter, volume 43, number 4.
- Postdoc Salaries: New salary threshold for overtime proposed for Fair Labor Standards Act – Future of Research blog, March 12, 2019.
- Huge variations in US postdoc salaries point to undervalued workforce – Nature, February 19, 2019.
- Brief: Landscape of US Postdoctoral Salaries – NIH BEST blog, Laura Daniel, January 10, 2019.
- Cities offer great postdoc opportunities—but make sure you factor in the cost of living – Science Careers, August 30, 2018 (mentions postdoctoral salary preprint).
- Increasing Transparency of U.S. Postdoctoral Salaries – Stories in Science, May 7, 2018.
- Changing the culture of science communication training for junior scientists – Mentioned in the JMBE Themed Issue on Science Communication editorial and included in the “cultural change” section of this issue, March 30, 2018.
- Pay for US postdocs varies wildly by institution – Nature, November 1, 2017.
- What is happening with the FLSA and Postdoc Salaries? – Life Science Network blog, Leah Cannon, February 12, 2017.
- Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) injunction and postdocs: one month later – Future of Research blog, December 22, 2016. Article advertised in the Kentucky Academy of Sciences (KAS) January 2017 newsletter.
- Effects of the Fair Labor Standards Act Implementation (or Lack Thereof) on the Postdoctoral Population – ASCB COMPASS blog, December 2, 2016 (with Gary McDowell). This post was selected for the January/February 2017 ASCB Newsletter, volume 40, number 1.
SCIENCE POLICY PRESENTATIONS
- Reclaiming STEM: addressing the gap in diverse and inclusive trainings – Reclaiming STEM workshop, UC Irvine, Irvine, CA, September 8, 2018.
- Grad Students Hear about Broad Perspectives, Digital Humanities at Career Day – Ohio University College of Arts & Sciences News, October 10, 2018.
- ComSciCon in review – ComSciCon San Diego, September 7, 2018.
- Making postdocs ‘less invisible’ in academia – ecrLife Blog, April 24, 2018.
- Using Evidence to Make Academia More Transparent to Early Career Scientists – Beyond the Professoriate, Gary McDowell, November 2, 2017 (includes discussion of tracking postdoc salaries as a result of the FLSA).