Since 2016, Adriana has written several blog posts on science policy, advocacy and training to support the future of research and the STEM workforce.
Selected blog posts:
- The CHIPS and Science Act: An Opportunity to Support the Next Generation STEM Workforce Through Policy Change – Sigma Xi Keyed In blog, May 2023.
- Cultivating a Generation of Civic Scientists Through Science Policy – SciTech Forefront, May 2023.
- Coming Together to Support the Nation’s STEM Pipeline – Inside Higher Ed, Oct 2022.
- Special Issue of Science Policy Journal Addresses the Future of STEM Education and Workforce Development – Sigma Xi Today, July 2022.
- Building a Technology-Savvy Workforce to Drive the Future of Research – ecrLife, Feb 2022.
- Enhancing Capacity Building for the Next Generation of Science Policy Leaders – Canadian Science Policy Magazine (CSPC), The next generation section, by invitation, Nov 2021.
- Bankston, Adriana. Great Science Begins with Nurturing Early-Career Researchers. Issues in Science and Technology, section on The Next 75 Years of Science Policy, supported by The Kavli Foundation, Nov 2021.
- Steps for getting started in science policy – ASBMB Today, Aug 2021.
- The Long-Term Impact of COVID-19 on the Careers of Postdoctoral Women – NPA POSTDOCket, Aug 2021.
- Elements of a positive academic environment for early career researchers, and how we are contributing – PLOS ECR blog, April 2019.
- How to write an op-ed – Union of Concerned Scientists Blog, Oct 2018.
Statements and press releases
Since 2016, Adriana has written several statements and press releases on research and STEM workforce development.
- Special Issue Open Science Polices as an Accelerator for Achieving the Sustainable Development Goals, JSPG, UNESCO and MGCY press release, Dec 2022.
- Special Issue on Re-envisioning STEM Education and Workforce Development for the 21st Century, JSPG & Sigma Xi press release, May 2022.
- FoR response to NIH RFI on advancing DEI in the biomedical research workforce, Future of Research, April 2021.
- ASCB Statement on the Next Generation Researchers Initiative, ASCB, March 2018.
- Future of Research issues comment on HHS DRAFT Strategic Plan FY 2018 – 2022 – Future of Research, Oct 2017.
- FoR public statement on “Revitalizing Graduate STEM Education for the 21st Century,” Future of Research, Sept 2017.
Since 2017, Adriana has published scholarly articles on academia and policy development to improve the research enterprise for the next generation.
Selected policy publications:
Jorgensen C, Miro AA, Sancheznieto F, Vedachalam S, Mughal A, Le Lay M, Bankston A and Singh H. 2022. Tracking Policy Implications and Impacts of the COVID-19 Pandemic and Related Executive Actions on a Sampling of Foreign-born Early Career Researchers in the U.S. OSF Preprints.
- Dutt, Rosie and Adriana Bankston. 2021. Cover Memo: Volume 19, Issue 1 Celebrating a Decade of Publishing Innovative Policy Solutions Designed by the Next Generation. JSPG, Vol. 19, Issue 1.
- Tammy Collins, Deepti Ramadoss, Rebekah Layton, Jennifer MacDonald, Ryan Wheeler, Adriana Bankston, C. Abigail Stayart, Yi Hao, Jacqueline Robinson-Hamm, Melanie Sinche, Scott Burghart, Aleshia Carlsen-Bryan, Pallavi Eswara, Heather Krasna, Hong Xu, Mackenzie Sullivan. 2021. Making Strides in Doctoral-Level Career Outcomes Reporting: Surveying the Landscape of Classification and Visualization Methodologies and Creating a Crosswalk Tool. bioRxiv.
- Davis, Stephanie M., Harinder Singh*, Cara M. Weismann*, Adriana Bankston*, and Juan P. R. Villalobos. 2020. Research Culture: Actionable recommendations from trainees to improve science training. eLife. *authors contributed equally.
- Bankston, Adriana, Stephanie M. Davis, Elisabeth Moore, Caroline A. Niziolek, and Vincent Boudreau. 2020. Research Culture: Why scientific societies should involve more early-career researchers. eLife.
- Harinder S, Bankston A, and McDowell G. 2020. Training Transitions: From Research Dependence to Independence. OSF Preprints.
- Bielczyk NZ, Ando A, Badhwar A, Caldinelli C, Gao M, Haugg A, Hernandez LM, Ito KL, Kessler D, Lurie D, Makary MM, Nikolaidis A, Veldsman M, Allen C, Bankston A, Bottenhorn KL, Braukman R, Calhoun V, Cheplygina V, Boffino CC, Ercan E, Finc K, Foo H, Khalibi A, La C, Mehler DMA, Narayanan S, Poldrack RA, Raamana PR, Salo T, Godard-Sebilotte C, Uddin LQ, Valeriani D, Valk SL, Walton CC, Ward PDG, Yanes JA, Zhou X, OHBM Student and Postdoc Special Interest Group. 2020. Effective self-management for early career researchers in the natural and life sciences. Neuron.
- 2019. Enhancing the connections between institutions and organizations to advance postdoctoral training. PeerJ Preprints.
- 2019. Inspiring and ethical mentorship in STEM: A meeting highlighting need for engagement, incentives, and accountability. PeerJ Preprints.
- Athanasiadou R, Bankston A, Carlisle M, Niziolek C, McDowell GS. 2018. Assessing the landscape of US postdoctoral salaries, Studies in Graduate and Postdoctoral Education.
- Bankston A, McDowell GS. 2018. Chapter 2 – A Review of Postdoc Reforms in the United States and the Case of the Fair Labor Standards Act Updates of 2016, In The Postdoc Landscape.
- Pickett C, Bankston A, McDowell GS. 2017. The GSS is an unreliable indicator of biological sciences postdoc population trends. bioRxiv.
- Bankston A, McDowell GS. 2017. Monitoring the compliance of the academic enterprise with the Fair Labor Standards Act. F1000Research.