Honors and awards
Since 2016, Adriana has received recognition for her work on academic research culture and STEM workforce development, and science policy training.
- Inaugural 2022 Emerging Broader Impacts Leader Award, Advancing Research Impact in Society (ARIS) (2022).
- Member Spotlight, Women in Government Relations (2021).
- Finalist, NASEM New Voices (2021).
- Semi-finalist, AAAS STPF Executive Branch (2019).
- Outstanding Publication Award, American Educational Research Association, Special Interest Group for Graduate and Postdoctoral Education across the Disciplines (entire book The Postdoc Landscape, contributed chapter to book) (2019).
Science policy sessions
Adriana has also been selected to participate in independent science policy projects or sessions related to academic culture.
- Alan Alda Center’s Women in STEM Leadership Program (2022)
- Full member, Sigma Xi, The Scientific Research Honor Society by nomination only (2021-present)
- Communications Training Boot Camp for Scientists, American Institute of Biological Sciences (2021)
- Science Advisory Council Simulation Workshop, Cambridge University Science and Policy Exchange (2021)
- The Future Substance of STEM Education, sponsored by NSF (2020)
- Leadership Seminar in Science and Technology Policy, AAAS (2020)
- New Frontiers Virtual Summit, Association of Science and Technology Centers (2020)
Since 2018, Adriana’s work on science policy, academic research culture and STEM workforce development has been highlighted by several media outlets.
Selected media highlights:
- Sigma Xi News Highlight: Sigma Xi Welcomes Adriana Bankston as New Senior Fellow, Civic Science & Public Policy, Sigma Xi, April 2023.
- ASBMB Today Article: Advocacy groups recognize Bankston, ASBMB, Feb 2023.
- AIP FYI Newsletter Highlight: Adriana Bankston: Activating Policymakers to Take Action in Supporting the Next Generation of Scientists, AAAS, Sept 2022.
- Science Letter Mention: Researchers criticize Senate plan to steer more NSF funding to ‘have not’ states, Science, June 2022.
- Rice University News: Baker Institute event explores preparing future civic scientists for climate change, public health risks, April 2022.
- Kavli Foundation Newsletter Highlight: Great Science Begins with Nurturing Early-Career Researchers, Issues in Science and Technology & Included in Issues in Science and Technology Special Edition “The Next 75 Years of Science Policy,” Dec 2021.
- Canadian Science Policy Centre, The next gen section: Enhancing Capacity Building for the Next Generation of Science Policy Leaders, CSPC Magazine, by invitation, Nov 2021.
- AIP FYI Newsletter Highlight: Adriana Bankston, chief executive of Journal of Science Policy & Governance, SAPEA Podcast, July 2021.
- The National Academies Press: Re-envisioning Postdoctoral Training in Neuroscience: Proceedings of a Workshop—in Brief, May 2021.
- ScienceGeist Highlights Newsletter (SNSF ECR section): Research Culture: Why scientific societies should involve more early-career researchers, eLife, Sept 2020.
- Nature Study Mention: Assessing the landscape of US postdoctoral salaries, Studies in Graduate and Postdoctoral Education, Feb 2019.
- Science Study Mention: Assessing the Landscape of U.S. Postdoctoral Salaries, bioRxiv, Aug 2018.